Sunday, August 26, 2012

First day of school...and a reminder of why I teach

Tomorrow is the first day of school and I am so excited! Every year it's like being a kid all over again on the night before school starts. I even have a new first day of school outfit-- and I happy to know that I am not the only person who still gets a "back to school" outfit for the first day! Several people I work with do the same...I'd love to know how many teachers do still enjoy a back to school outfit.

I have a cute back to school story that made me reralize exactly why I teach--as I was grocery shopping this afternoon a small boy, probably kindergarten or first grade age, was skipping through the isle behind his mom singing his own made up song to no certain tune, " four more hours until I can go to bed and get up for the first day of school!!!". The mother made eye contact with me and half smiled, half rolled her eyes and I just laughed and told her I was a teacher and I was just as excited as her child was. It made me so happy to know that some kids do still get excited about school. It means he has had teachers who really care and who make it fun and engaging for him.

Back to school...have all of my stuff ready for the First Day Jitters!!


No comments:

Post a Comment